Progress? Probably.

If you were to walk into our house 3 weeks ago and then again today, you would wonder what we have we have been doing... I know I am. It doesn't look much different from our initial gut job.

But this To-Do list is happening and it is getting checked off, and sometimes a task is suddenly added and then immediately checked off, for posterity.

When you start unfolding a house, you start unfolding problems. The list of to-do's keeps getting longer, but we have managed to stay on task.



There have been MANY little projects that have been addressed, and I won't bore you with all the details, but here are a few highlights...

Atom cleverly broke out his sculpting tools and gave this brick it's former curves after being buried under grout and tile. The brick will be the backsplash for the the new stove and hood.



We discovered an opening the kitchen walls further that the rot in the floor didn't come from the dishwasher, it came from a bad pipe connection in the wall.



Atom has replaced the rotted wood and broken pipes.


Kitchen renovations are always the biggest undertaking in a home, and there are still so many moving parts in this kitchen, but as we complete each section I am chipping away at the drywall, which I am now realizing, like giving birth, is so much more painful in the moment than what I remember.



This is that point in a project where you greatly questions every decision. 'Was all of this really worth it? Am I making the right decisions? Will this come together in a way that makes sense? and general, What the fuck?!'s all over the place as problems continue to unfold.

We keep marching, and really, Atom is the hero in this. I have visions and ideas, and he finds ways to see them through. I am grateful for our relationship, in adversity, we seem to thrive together, find solutions and keep each other optimistic.

Next we will continue to wrap up electrical and plumbing adjustments, close up the walls and start laying the 40 sheets of 1/2" CDX boards that I had Pullman Building Supply deliver in a snowstorm. Worth every penny of the $30 delivery fee.

[ Sidenote: For any of you who are taking on projects like this, remember to call around, and get quotes sent, I saved money on the CDX boards because I kept my quote from a month ago and the prices went up, my quote was honored. ]

And one day, I dream of not having to do my dishes like this...



Or cook and have meals like this... Our glamping kitchen.


Big thanks to the Souder clan for getting us the Instant Pot for Christmas. I have drunk the Instant Pot kool-aid and successfully prepared many meals in that little kit already. Since this whole process has started between our camp stove, microwave, toaster, and Instant Pot we have only ordered out twice, which might be less than when we had a whole kitchen.

Comments

Popular Posts