The Primer Challenge

When you have an entire floor of a house to renovate, efficiency and cost are always a huge factor. Time is money, choosing which projects you can do yourself vs contracting a professional is a tricky balance. In this case, I know I am capable of painting, and feel confident about taking on the task and  I don't need to become a body builder to do it.

Since we have the entire upstairs interior to paint, we already decided to rent a paint sprayer and go with one neutral warm white throughout. I have run the gamut with shades of white and trim colors, and decided for this 70's house, bright happy white on white is a good plan. The bigger and more complicated decision is which combination of primer / paint to cover the mess of colors that have mistreated this house.

 I tested a $14 can of Kilz Primer with a $33 can of Multi-Purpose Sherwin Williams Primer. I am sure there is someone out there who already has the answer to this, but I had to investigate for myself.

Here are the results...

KILZ : Has a fairly strong odor, went on really thin, was sometimes hard to even get the roller to roll.  coverage was light, dried quickly. Would definitely need a couple of coats for this to be effective.

SW: Also has fairly strong odor, went on medium to light thickness, dried a little slow comparatively, could go with one coat.

Thankfully Sherwin Williams is having 30% off the rest of the month.


Comments

Popular Posts